: As an ideal place for defence (a barred spur), the site of the
castle of the Counts of Rochefort is likely to have been occupied since
time immemorial. The earliest reference to the castle dates from
1155, but it may have been in existence as early as the 11th century.
Very little is known about this castle which belonged to the Montaigus :
excavations have revealed the square foundations of the keep and the
From the Montaigus, ownership of the castle (the largest in the Famenne area and the capital of a county within the jurisdiction of the bishop of Liège) passed successively to the Duras, the La Marcks, the Stolbergs, the Loewensteins … Archaeological excavations revealed the two wells and a XIIIth century military wall. A museum is opened to the public in the eastern tower.
: The whole year round open for groups, by
appointment. Guided tours for groups on request - languages: FR, NL; EN
in the high season. Evening activities on request. Difficult access for
disabled persons. Extra phone for information: 0496/61 71 45. Access:
E411, exit 22 (Rochefort).
E-mail : email@example.com