Museum of the subterranean world
The site of Han-sur-Lesse can be considered as a refuge for the memory of forty centuries of civilisation. From the Neolithic hunters to took shelter in one or the other end of the cave around 2000 BC to the inhabitants of the village who sought refuge during the Battle of the Bulge during Christmas 1994, or the thousands of tourists who visit it every year, not to mention our bronze-age ancestors who honoured their dead therein and the robber barons of Han-sur-Lesse (the ruins of their castle are still visible on the left bank of the Lesse near the bridge); all have left mementos of their passage in a cave that is far older, as some of its concretions stretch back more than 350,000 years.
The mount of Han has aroused the interest of archaeologists for more than a century, as the first project for a museum dates from August 1897; but specialists from the natural sciences (geology, botany, zoology) have been taking turns there since the 1770s. Initially near the outlet of the cave, but now at the centre of the village, right behind the church, the Underground World Museum could not but be multi-disciplinary. It presents, in a dynamic manner, the main stages of the formation of the caves and the different research techniques applied there.
Those interested in archaeology will be able
to admire, in their context: Neolithic tools (ca. 2000 BC), bronze age arms and
jewellery (ca. 500 – 100 BC), Gallo-Roman coins, intaglios, military diplomas
and earthenware, ceramics tools and coins from the end of the middle ages to the
present – objects in short found in the cave and the Lesse river bad, as well
as numerous engravings and posters about the cave published between 1743 and
Email : email@example.com
Site web : http://www.grotte-de-han.be/